Process Safety Management (PSM) Leader
The PSM Leader will serve as the subject matter expert in PSM/Process Chemistry Safety. The PSM Leader will develop and implement advanced risk assessment and mitigation concepts. The PSM Leader will also be responsible for setting up and reporting key metrics relating to the field of Process Safety.
- Introduce advanced PHA concepts.
- Assess and suggest improvements to operating procedure formats to ensure compliance and effectiveness.
- Set up and monitor Process Safety metrics.
- Standardize risk assessment methodology.
- Asses fire protection and insurance requested improvements.
- Lead Process Safety Management (PSM) program implementation improvements through sharing and facilitating best practices.
- Ensure plant PHA leaders are trained in proper PHA techniques and ensure plant PHAs are led by appropriately qualified personnel. Review results of all PHAs for quality and thoroughness.
- Assist plant in leading Process Hazards Analysis (PHA) for major risk projects by providing expert support in PHA methodologies.
- Provide support for LOPA reviews of those risk scenarios requiring further assessment post PHA review.
- Support PSM Excellence implementation. Identify needs required to comply with PSM requirements.
- Review self-assessment program and the results of plant PSM Standards self-assessments.
- Track and follow-up of action items/completion to ensure timing solution of any findings from PSM audits, PHA studies and other PSM assessment activities.
- Participate in select Pre-Startup Safety Reviews (PSSRs) prior to startup of new or modified processes or equipment or after extended shutdown of equipment. Periodically review site PSSRs for quality and completeness.
- Support SH&E through the review and assessment of PSM related requirements.
- Participate in Incident Investigations/Root Cause Analysis.
- Evaluate events and operational results and support the revising / updating of site policies, procedure revisions, and training to address process safety related findings.
- Provide leadership and guidance for local process safety to ensure compliance and consistency across plants.
- Support plants when interface is required with local regulatory agencies as it relates to Process Safety Management.
- Provide evaluations and progress reports of ongoing programs to management as required.
- Monitor regulatory changes, publicly available information, and significant incidents at other refineries/chemical plants for the region/business.
- Provide expert technical support in identifying and resolving critical regulatory issues.
- Complies and ensures compliance with all regulatory safety requirements and with all regulatory environmental requirements.
- Complies and ensures compliance with all company policies, practices and lawful directives.
- Performs other assignments as necessary and directed by management
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in any field related to EH&S, such as industrial hygiene, engineering, science or equivalent. Chemical Engineering is preferred.
- Solid understanding of Process Safety Management, OSHA/EPA.
- Working knowledge of OSHA 29 CFR 1910.119 Process Safety Management and EPA 40 CFR Part 68 Risk Management Programs.
- Minimum of 10 years plant experience with a broad technical understanding of plant operations.
- 5 years of process operations /process safety experience in industrial or manufacturing setting.
- Strong safety experience.
- Experience conducting data analysis and root cause analysis using various programs.
- Experience with risk/consequence modeling desirable.
- Experience in management of contractors and other technical resources a plus.